Noodle Arm Disc Golf’s March Mold Mania: Elite Eight
It took three rounds, but Noodle Arm Disc Golf’s March Mold Mania finally experienced its first buzzer beater.
Faced with a daunting task out of the Putter region, Latitude 64’s Pure mounted a huge rally yesterday in an effort to upset Innova’s flagship flyer, the Aviar.
With both putters being highly regarded – many use the No. 3 seed Pure off the tee as almost a short midrange, while the No. 2 seed Aviar is known for its familiar feel and straight-line ability – this was the most hotly contested matchup of the entire tournament thus far. It seemed Latitude 64 fans were going to vault their mold to a massive upset victory, but when press time rolled around this morning, the Aviar emerged victorious.
The last-second win ensured Innova will be represented in three out of four regions in the Elite Eight, with the top-seeded Destroyer continuing its march toward the Final Four out of the Warp Speed bracket and the Teebird holding off a late surge by the Latitude 64 Saint to advance in the Control/Fairway driver region.
The Sweet 16 wasn’t all Innova, though. Indeed, even as Latitude 64 lost all of its matchups, the remaining Trilogy brands scored big upsets, as the No. 14 seed Westside World took down the No. 2 seed Discraft Nuke and the No. 4 seed Dynamic Discs Judge knocked off the No. 1 seed Gateway Wizard.
The most surprising result of all, though? The No. 3 seed Dynamic Discs Truth cruising to an easy victory over the No. 2 seed Innova Roc. Is there a changing of the guard afoot in the Midrange category, or will the Discraft Buzzz reign supreme?
Elite Eight voting runs through the weekend, so lock in your picks and help declare the winner of each region. Is the power of the Trilogy enough to overcome the Destroyer? Which ‘bird will be the Control/Fairway driver of choice? Can the Aviar pull off one more miracle?
And one more note: If you’ve enjoyed March Mold Mania, the highest compliment would be a “like” over on the Noodle Arm Disc Golf Facebook page. This kind of support helps when it comes to any future plans I have for the site, including outreach for test discs, tournament sponsorships, and the almighty giveaway. You can also follow along on Twitter and Instagram if you hang out on those corners of the Internet, as well.
Enjoy the weekend, and bring on the Final Four!
Sweet 16 Recap
- 1) Innova Destroyer (67.93%) over 4) Innova Wraith (32.07%)
- 14) Westside World (65.3%) over 2) Discraft Nuke (34.7%)
- 7) Innova Firebird (62.18%) over 3) Innova Leopard (37.82%)
- 2) Innova Aviar (50.06%) over 3) Latitude 64 Pure (49.94%) – A single vote sends the Aviar to a Putter Bracket showdown with the upstart Dynamic Discs Judge.
- 14) Westside World (65.3%) over 2) Discraft Nuke (34.7%) – Instead of dropping bombs on the World, the new Westside kid on the block turned the tables on Discraft’s heavy artillery.
- 3) Dynamic Discs Truth (54.34%) over 2) Innova Roc (45.66%) – A matchup that looked to be close on paper was anything but.
- 4) Dynamic Discs Judge (60.16%) over 1) Gateway Wizard (39.84%) – In the Battle of the Bead, the jury ruled in favor of the Judge. (You’re welcome for the legal pun.)
Warp Speed Driver Bracket
Control/Fairway Driver Bracket
One Response to “Noodle Arm Disc Golf’s March Mold Mania: Elite Eight”
Fluid Judges best all round!